I had heard horror stories of making gnocchi from scratch, but I was determined. To my surprise you can make an incredibly delicious gnocchi in 25 mins total including the shaping! In fact these were so easy I made them three days in a row ~ not kidding. The first batch I followed a two ingredient recipe from Savory Tooth. I thought the gnocchi itself lacked flavor but it wasn’t anything a little garlic powder couldn’t fix! Here’s how I made the following batches.
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 3/4 cup Flour *only ½ cup of this will be used in the gnocchi, the rest will be for dusting*
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1. Poke holes all over your sweet potatoes and place them in the microwave for 10 mins. Let the sweet potatoes cool for 5 min in the fridge.
2. Cut your cooked sweet potatoes in half. Scrape out the insides using a fork, mash the sweet potatoes as you scrape it from the skin.
3. Sprinkle flour onto your cutting board and spread your mashed sweet potato out flat. Add 1/2 cup of flour and knead with your hands until the flour is blended. *Do not over knead*
4. Roll your gnocchi dough into a ball. Using a scraper cut the pieces into eighths.
5. Sprinkle some flour on the board. Take a piece of the dough and roll it out. Use the scraper to cut off small pieces of the dough to create the gnocchi.
*Bonus step* If you want your gnocchi to look a little prettier you can roll the pieces of dough against the back of a fork or use a gnocchi board.
6. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add gnocchi and allow them to cook for 4-5 mins or until they’re floating at the top. I added the gnocchi directly into a pan of minced garlic, fresh sage leaves, olive oil, and vegan parmesan. Or you can click here for a Garlic, Butter, and Sage Sauce with Baby Spinach and Mushrooms.